An award-winning journalist, broadcaster, and international communicator with 15 years at radio, television, and new media outlets in the U.S., Germany, and Switzerland. I am a proven leader, innovator, and problem-solver in high-stress media environments. I am a proponent of cultural literacy, exchange, and understanding, and have worked to foster relationships with individuals and organizations sharing that aim, especially in a global context.
- Skilled broadcaster and public speaker
- Project management and planning
- Public media fundraising strategy, language
- Native English, fluent German
- Experience in international editorial teams
- Community outreach and dialogue
Afternoon Host, 90.3 WCPN, ideastream (NPR) | Cleveland, OH | (12/13 – )
Award-winning drive-time anchor for this regional public media organization, managing and coordinating content from local and national sources.
- Developed the break structure, local clock, and overall tone for the afternoon shift.
- Oversaw sustained listener growth for WCPN’s most listened-to day part.
- Conceived, produced, reported, and edited interviews, features, series, and long-form storytelling.
- Founding committee member with universities and global affairs groups to plan and moderate community forums on international affairs including on Angela Merkel and Germany’s refugee crisis and challenges for the Trump administration (on C-SPAN)
- Served as an auxiliary news editor. Coached new on-air talent in production and presentation.
- Lead producer and host for on-air election team of four, while coordinating colleagues in the field.
- TV projects (WVIZ/PBS), including news analysis; features; and hosting a TV auction.
- On-air fundraising host, and key contributor to campaign strategy, language, and execution.
Notable Stories: Our Land: A conversation about community policing; Hough Residents Want To Focus On Positivity, Leave The Past In The Past; Cleveland’s Gangs; An Orchid Empire; Interview with Strobe Talbott; Restaurateur Honored With Knighthood; Hard Choices And Tight Budgets: Food Insecurity In Northeast Ohio; Health Insurance and Spam Calls
Founder and Principal, Cherry Mountain Media | (2005 – Present)
Boutique media production and journalism services. Independent journalism, writing, podcasting, training, and media production work.
- Media and journalism services provided to companies including NPR, Deutsche Welle, Swissinfo.ch, Unabridged Press, and the BBC.
- Creator and host of a video series demystifying journalism, while baking bread: The Baking Journalist.
- Creator, host, and curator of the award-winning Faith Full Podcast on religion, faith, and life.
- Podcast production and training for Unabridged Press, mainly for projects on issues affecting people with disabilities
- Have also offered live news analysis on BBC radio and television and Deutsche Welle television.
Contract Reporter, Swissinfo.ch | (01/15 – Present )
Contract reporting for the international multimedia outlet of the Swiss Public Broadcasting Service. Work includes podcasts, videos, photos, and articles on stories relevant to Swiss readers, and people interested in a Swiss perspective. In 2017 and 2018, part of an international team reporting series on healthcare and higher education systems. Features have touched on art, energy and climate change, politics, apprenticeships, and more.
Notable Stories: How Swiss experience is helping the US embrace apprenticeships; Art as a catalyst for change; Two patchwork health care systems and two stories of reform; US energy debate heats up as Solar Impulse plans trip
Correspondent, Swiss Broadcasting Corporation | Zurich, Switzerland | (06/10 – 05/13 )
Political and national affairs correspondent producing features, interviews, and in-depth series in English from the German-speaking region of Switzerland; includes reporting of Parliament, banking, business, and human interest stories. Hosted national newscasts for evening drive-time, serving expats and international Geneva. Contributed long-form work for the program Business Insight, and long-form interviews for the program Lunch With.
Notable Stories: Series from Cairo; Do More Guns Mean Less Crime; Future of Swiss Banks; Davos Coverage; First Night-Flight of a Solar Airplane; Homeless refugee family reignites housing debate; Swiss Border town complains of refugee problems
Fellow, Robert Bosch Stiftung (Foundation) | Germany | (06/09 – 06/10)
Selected as a young American leader for work placements in Germany, and high-level seminars with top EU politicians and power brokers. Embedded with editorial teams at West German Public Radio and Bavarian Public Radio. (See below)
Bosch Fellow/Editor, Bavarian Public Media | Munich, DE | (12/10 – 05/10)
Guest editor for a daily talk show broadcast on TV and radio; for immigrant-focused programming; and for Munich news, as part of the Robert Bosch Fellowship for young American Leaders. Produced stories in German from an American perspective, and participated in editorial planning and research. Work included a comparison of attitudes about terrorism, and German stereotypes.
Bosch Fellow/Editor, WDR | Cologne, DE | (9/09 – 12/09)
Guest editor with West German Public Media for WDR 3 (classical music/arts and culture), and with Funkhaus Europa (immigrant-focused programming). This was part of the Robert Bosch Fellowship program for young American leaders. Wrote and produced commentaries in German; and participated in editorial meetings. Contributed to WDR from President Obama’s Nobel peace prize acceptance in Oslo.
Arthur F. Burns Fellow, Deutsche Welle | Bonn, Germany | (07/08 – 10/08)
Chosen as 1 of 10 US journalists by the International Center for Journalists to work with a German media outlet. Embedded in the English-language editorial team in Bonn. Work focused on comparing US and German guest worker realities, but included other cultural, business, and political reports.
Coordinator, Sonic Roots Teen Radio Project | Tempe, AZ | (09/07 – 10/08)
Developed a grant-funded program to teach public radio to high school students. Created a pilot lesson plan; created exercises and teaching materials; managed equipment inventory and costs; coordinated with local teachers; mentored students and produced their journalism for air on KJZZ. The program developed into the Spot 127 Youth Media Center: https://spot127.org/
Morning Producer/Reporter, KJZZ 91.5 FM | Phoenix, AZ | (01/06 – 04/09)
Managed the morning news program for this NPR news member station. Scheduled interviews; wrote newscast copy; produced and reported features; occasionally hosted programs; maintained an editorial calendar; conceived, planned, led production and focus of series. Occasionally contributed nationally to various networks. Coached/produced contributor theater reviews, essays, etc.
Notable Stories: Comparing US and German Guest-workers; Arizonans at Landstuhl; pouring euros into Arizona; a Sedona prayer amplifier; cyber vigilantism; German pilots flying over desert; Wireless video in ambulances
Contract Reporter, Northwest News Network | Olympia and Pullman, WA | 09/05 – 12/05
Stringer for this regional network serving public radio stations in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. Worked from the Olympia capital bureau, and from NWPR at Washington State University.
News Director, KUOI-FM | Moscow, ID | (05/04 – 05/05)
Managed a student news-team of five reporters. Oversaw and participated in award-winning newscast and features production for this university radio station.
Reporter/Intern, Moscow-Pullman Daily News | Moscow, ID | (01/04 – 05/04)
Business features and spot news reporting for this daily newspaper serving the Palouse region of Idaho and Washington State. Intern while a student at the University of Idaho.
Other work experience: Webmaster, photo specialist
University of Leicester (UK)
M.A., International Relations and World Order (with Merit)
Dissertation graded at ‘Distinction‘ level: “From Kosovo to Syria: The Rise, Fall and Potential Resurrection of the ‘Responsibility to Protect'”
University of Idaho
Select Professional Appearances
Cleveland State University International Law Conference | April 2019, Cleveland
Moderator for a conversation on “A World in Disarray” tied to R2P and intervention.
City of Rocky River, Ohio, Citizen Police Academy | April 2019, Cleveland
Commencement speaker: “Strengthening ties between the public, the press, and law enforcement”
City Club of Cleveland | March 2019, Cleveland
Moderator for a conversation on R2P, human rights interventions, and international law.
Committee member, moderator for public conversations on global affairs | 2014 – Present, Cleveland
Events include discussion on coronavirus and global politics; Angela Merkel’s legacy; on Trump foreign policy (C-SPAN); on Kashmir.
Case Western Reserve University International Law Conference | 2016, Cleveland
Moderator for panel on the Obama Administration’s legacy in crisis and conflict in the Middle East.
Robert Bosch Foundation Alumni Association | July 2013, Berlin | Panelist on freedom and rights.
UNHCR’s annual NGO consultations | July 2012, Geneva | Panelist on racism and xenophobia in Europe.
- Poynter Institute, Power Reporting Seminar, St. Petersburg, Florida | April/May 2007
- Transatlantic Climate Bridge, Berlin/Hamburg, GER | December 2008
Administered by InWent (an NGO.) Toured renewable energy sites on the country’s northern coast. Used the experience as part of a multi-part series about energy in Arizona for KJZZ 91.5 FM, Phoenix.
- Institut für Sprachvermittlung (IFS), Berlin, GER | June – August 2009
Studied German language, society and culture as a continuation of studies begun by private tutor in February 2009. Coached at a C1 language level on the CEFR scale.
- BBC College of Journalism | April 2011 and February 2013
While with World Radio Switzerland, BBC trainers taught sessions on Online and Social Media Research, and News Writing.
- The Ohio Channel | May 2016
Crash course in video editing with Adobe Premiere.
- Public Media Journalists Association | July/August 2020
Four week newsroom leader training from PMJA trainers. Seminars online due to pandemic addressed diversity/equity, editorial integrity, management/employee dynamics, and more.
Native English speaker; fluent German; conversational French
Proficient with the following programs/equipment:
• Microsoft Office Applications
• Pro Tools for Macintosh Computers
• Adobe Audition
• Movie Maker, iMovie, some Adobe Premiere, VSDC
• Some Gimp (photoshop alternative)
• Smart FTP, Filezilla, etc (online file transfers)
• Audio Vault (studio audio file management system)
• Joomla, WordPress (Webpage building, data managers)
• ENPS, Newsboss
• Marantz PMD 660/661 digital recorder
• Zoom H6 digital recorder recorder
• Studio control board/Master control function
• DMOD and ISDN Interfaces
• Multiple microphone set-ups
• Basic lighting
• Multiple camera set-ups (still and video)
Won an award from the Ohio SPJ for a documentary produced in 2015.
Won awards from the Ohio AP, and the Press Club of Cleveland for work in 2014, 2015.
Won two 2006 AP Awards; “First Place” Use of Sound; “Second Place” Sports Feature
Won three 2005 SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards for radio features
Awarded the first-ever Michael Kirk Award for Broadcast from the University of Idaho in 2005.
Eagle Scout (Silver Palm), with experience as an aquatics instructor at regional and national Boy Scout facilities
Alumnus and former vice president of Kappa Sigma fraternity, Gamma-Theta Chapter (RP: GMC)